What is executive coaching?
Executive leadership coaching is a partnership between coach and executive client where goals and growth opportunities are explored and pursued together. There are various styles and methods of executive coaching which is why it’s important to do some research before hiring one. One important contributing factor to a successful coaching relationship is finding a “good fit.” The coach you hire should be someone you feel a connection with as you will probably be sharing some vulnerable parts of yourself and exploring patterns and dynamics in your life that aren’t usually explored. Another contributing factor to success in coaching is knowing your goals beforehand so you can find the right person to help you achieve them. So to help you find the right fit, let’s look at some options.
What executive coaching is not:
- It is not consulting - Consulting is exclusively business focused, often done by someone with extensive business experience. If you need strategic advice on how to best lead your business and someone to tell you how to improve at this, a consultant is best. A consultant will help you identify problems within your business and fix them. There will be little to no focus on personal development and assisting you to grow yourself into a better leader, helping you grow by knowing yourself better and looking at areas of your life other than your work.
- It is not counseling - Counseling is primarily, but not always, focused on healing wounds from past pain. The focus is often in the past and is deeply personal. There is not always a forward looking direction as it is assumed that if the past is healed the future will be taken care of. Good coaching, I believe, will be open to looking at past pain as that can be a sticking point for leaders to grow and be at their best but will explore that only to free a leader to grow and become their best self and achieve their goals.
Am I right for you?
This is an important question to ask and answer so that we have a successful partnership. In reading my passion and purpose above, you know what I value and what I believe will make the biggest difference in your life: your personal growth.
So I may be the right coach for you if:
- You are open (better yet eager) to personal growth, openly looking at how you contribute to your problems and taking responsibility to change what you can (you).
- You are open to identifying and taking responsibility for your emotions (Emotional Intelligence -EQ). Emotions are a powerful way to see what you are truly feeling and experiencing with others and yourself. Emotional responsibility (or lack of) drive the quality and outcomes of most human encounters and human encounters drive the quality of pretty much everything.
- You are open to feedback from colleagues and others as a way to see yourself better and identify strategic, highest impact changes to be made.